By Prajita Shrestha
Photos by Satyan Shrestha
From a young age of six, Neetesh Jung Kunwar had gone gaga over the magical and mystical power of music. And as a fortunate stroke of serendipity, his father happened to be an avid music lover who would play records of world famous artists, including Elvis Presley, Bob Marley, and John Fogerty. Thus, in no time, Kunwar found himself humming songs and singing the lyrics to those songs.
As an innocent six-year-old completely starstruck by the mesmerising world of tunes and melodies, Kunwar – along with a constant drive from his father – decided on taking his first step into the utopian world of music. He took guitar lessons from his father and bonded over well-composed music playing on loop. Though, it was only in the eighth grade when he performed in his school’s farewell event that he received a truckload of motivation to continue his musical venture: his guitar act on the song ‘Hotel California’ brought about an overwhelming spur of applauds and cheers from the crowd.
But giving continuity to music is not at all a piece of cake. Instead, it is a rollercoaster ride that demands courage, perseverance, and dedication outright.
“I recall spending a lot of lonely nights trying to work my way through old school gadgets in an attempt to record myself. And as if this wasn’t enough, I had to pitch people and promoters to share my projects, at times to the point of having awkward social confrontations and hard-hitting judgments. Moreover, sometimes the expenditures would be high enough to make me plain broke,” says Kunwar sharing his share of struggles in the music industry.
“MUSIC HELPS ME ESCAPE AFAR MY TENSIONS AND EXPRESS MY EMOTIONS. THE THRUM OF RHYTHMS STOWED IN SONGS IS MY CUSTOM-MADE HAPPY PILL. MUSIC IS –IN SHORT – MY SKETCH OF A HAPPY LITTLE PLACE.” – NEETESH JUNG KUNWAR
However, as the wise men say, “Thee who persist shall succeed,” Kunwar also received the love and fame he deserved once his song ‘Gedai Jasto Jindagi’ left the people abuzz and in awe. Today, Kunwar is a successful singer, composer, and songwriter whom the entire nation looks upon.
While some deem his achievement as an ‘overnight success’, Kunwar says, “There is no such thing as an ‘overnight success’. Your success might be tangible, but your struggle is within yourself,” which undoubtedly makes a lot of sense since it is the success that makes the noise but struggles is almost silent. Even post breaking the records with his songs, Kunwar finds himself in the same position when it comes to putting effort on one’s projects.
“I still get paranoid at times about my career because after all, everything has its make it or break it period. The pressure that I feel from within me to keep the flame of my passion blazing, although stressful at times, motivates me to strive for the best,” shares Kunwar, “I also had to face a lot of demeaning comments. I admire criticisms but useless comments are meant to be ignored. If I have the right to publish then people do have the right to comment. It works as a system. Nevertheless, it is not necessary to let those comments take over my life.”
After all the efforts he has put on his career, now when he reflects on to his initial days of struggle, Kunwar is nothing but proud of making up for this level. There were lots of empty shows or ones with hardly three to four people but he never lost hope. He knew that he absolutely had to pursue music because the music made me him the happiest. He enjoys everything about music: the grooves, the beats, the transitions, the sounds of the instruments, and soulful music.
Currently, Kunwar is working on an album and an official music video, and we’re sure the new records will be out soon.
Neetesh’s Music Favourites
- You like to listen to music on: On my iPod with headphones
- Best time to listen to music: While I am travelling
- One musical event that you are looking forward to: I’m just going with the flow
- Your Favourite Genre: Country
- Your Favourite Song: I don’t think I can cut my list down to just one song.
- Your Favourite Artist: John Mayer
- Best Fan Moments: Each and every fan moment
- Best Concert that you’ve ever attended: Bryan Adams at Dashrath Rangashala
Getting Up, Close, and Personal with Neetesh
- Your Current Gym Buddy: Right now, I don’t hit a gym. But earlier, my best friend Vicky was my gym buddy although it never really worked out.
- Your best sportswear: Nike
- You look best in: Anything that makes me look lean and tall. (laughs)
- Your dream date: Every new date
- Your pet peeves: Unnecessary questions
- Your guilty pleasure: Smoking
- One thing that you look for in a girl: Spontaneity
- One thing that turns you off from a girl: When they are over the top shy
- One habit of girls that you hate the most: Overacting in normal conditions and not reacting in extreme ones.
“KUNWAR RECEIVED THE LOVE AND FAME HE DESERVED ONCE HIS SONG ‘GEDAI JASTO JINDAGI’ LEFT THE PEOPLE ABUZZ AND IN AWE. TODAY, KUNWAR IS A SUCCESSFUL SINGER, COMPOSER, AND SONGWRITER WHOM THE ENTIRE NATION LOOKS UPON.”