Text by Shrisha Nepal
Photos by Satyan Shrestha
It was a proud moment for all Nepalese when Maheswor Maharjan, 33, claimed gold medal in the 75 kg weight category of the 50th Asian Body Building Championship in Thimpu, Bhutan, on September 6. Maharjan defeated 10 opponents from 48 countries to finish first in his weight category As he was delivering the flag-waving speech after the win, we at WAVE were eagerly waiting to catch and talk with him. Thus, as soon as he landed in Kathmandu, our team caught the nation’s son.
No one can accomplish targets overnight. One has to pull in sweat and effort. I am always guided by 5 rules:
- Will power
- Follow the above rules
It was my hobby to become a bodybuilder. Later, it transformed into a passion, and now, it has remained a lifestyle and career.
Even if I am 33 years old, I have the confidence to dream that this is what I will do for the rest of my life. I still have 40 years ahead to compete in national and international bodybuilding competitions.
Answer to a question
One day, as I was leaving my house for gym facility, my mother asked me if I still need to go to the gym, given that I was already a bodybuilder. My answer was simple. “We eat ‘Daal-Bhaat’ every day, don’t we? Just like we eat ”Daal-Bhaat’, I need to train myself everyday because it is a huge part of my life that keeps me going. My day does not complete without a session of work-out.”
I have changed my field of work quite a number of times. I have worked as a Graphic Designer, a PR Officer and a Nutrition Guide. Though I was working in other sectors, I never gave up working out to remain fit or participating in bodybuilding competitions.
In earlier years, supplements were not easily available and developing a desired body was tough for bodybuilders; but today,
many supplements are available according to the needs of a body. I take my supplements and proteins from Diet Nepal, and these effective supplements have no side effects.
45 minutes of workouts and exercises is enough to have a comfortable lifetime.
Major Rewards and Acknowledgements
- Claimed gold medal in the 75 kg weight category of the 50th Asian Body Building Championship in Thimpu, Bhutan, in 2016.
- Secured 1st position in 75 kg weight category of Mr. Nepal 2015, organized by National Sports Council, Kathmandu.
- Claimed gold medal in First Nation-wide Bodybuilding Championship, organized by HKNFBF (Hong Kong Nepal Federation of Bodybuilding & Fitness) in 2015.
- Claimed gold during National Worldwide Bodybuilding Championship 2014, organized by Nepal Byayam Mandir.
- Secured 2nd position during National Worldwide Bodybuilding Championship, organized by Bullsmen gym & Fitness, Pokhara in 2013.
- Claimed gold medal in 75 kg weight category of 12th Dharma Shree (National Worldwide Bodybuilding Championship) in 2012.
- Secured first position in 75 kg weight category of Mr. Nepal 2012, organized by National Sports Council, Kathmandu.
- Awarded as a member of the 1st Runner-Up Team at the Ramadan Inter Departmental Football Tournament, held on 25th August 2009, U.A.E.
- Claimed gold medal in 75 kg weight category of 2nd Mr. Himalaya, organized by National Sports Council, in 2006.
- Awarded as ‘Best Physical Fitness Instructor’ by Universal Gym, Nardevi, Kathmandu, in 2005.